Position: Innovation Studio Shop Manager
Location: Danville, California, USA
Innovation is at the doorstep of The Athenian School—or perhaps more accurately, at the base of Mt. Diablo. Athenian is a school where virtually every part of its 75-acre campus near the beautiful San Francisco East Bay hills is a space for discovery and experimentation. But what makes Athenian truly unique is the role of the student in the learning process. Students don’t just own their learning, they live it—whether spending three months building an airplane or spending three weeks camping in the wilderness.
The Carter Innovation Studio (CIS) is part of the newest learning commons on campus. This 5,200 square foot design lab features a shop area with metal and woodworking tools, an industrial arts area, a computer/CADD/3-D printer space, and three classrooms. Its central location at the heart of Athenian’s campus is no accident. Athenian wants the CIS to be a hub of experiential learning activity for both middle and high school students.
75% Carter Innovation Studio (CIS) Shop Manager/User Supervisor (100% during the academic school year)
Reports to the Director of the CIS
The Athenian School’s Carter Innovation Studio is looking for a Shop Manager/Supervisor. The CIS is a combination of makerspace/woodworking and machine shop. Current classes taught in the CIS include Engineering, Architecture, Applied Science, Imagineering, and Art and Science of Making, and students served range from 6th to 12th-graders. The CIS houses tools including 3D printers, laser cutters, a soldering station/electronics bench, power tools including saws and sanders, a Shopbot, a lathe, a mill, hand tools, and more. We are looking for individuals who have experience running a makerspace or shop in an educational setting and prefer those who have expertise in woodworking, metalworking, and/or facilities management. A sense of humor, humility, growth mindset and an inviting attitude are musts for success in this role.
Under direct oversight by the Director of the CIS, the CIS Shop Manager ensures that all equipment inside the CIS is in working order, creates and enforces safety policies, and supervises users in the safe and responsible operation of CIS tools. In all of the above as well as additional areas to be defined, the CIS Shop Manager works closely with the Director of the CIS to meet user and institutional needs.
FLSA: Non-exempt. Job Classification: Staff
- Maintains an organized and safe facility by performing daily clean-up and inspection of all CIS areas: Digital Fabrication Studio, Electronics Bench, Wood and Metal Shop/Open Studio, Classrooms, and storage areas
- Manages the upkeep and timely maintenance of equipment (for example, oil application and blade replacement) and raw materials/supplies (for example, wood, metal, fasteners, electronics, and other consumables) in all CIS areas; documents maintenance work in Maintenance Manual/Log
- Defines, implements, and effectively publicizes the CIS Safety Program, including but not limited to displaying proper signage, maintaining first aid kits and personal protective equipment, and user education and enforcement
- Collaborates with Facilities Department to maintain systems including HVAC/dust collection, electrical, and fire safety; prepares CIS for and follows up on annual fire inspections
- Purchases and organizes supplies and equipment; regularly take inventory of and replenishes CIS supplies as well procures special items for CIS teachers
- Provides timely communication on the working status of tools to facilitate teacher planning and safe operation
- Regularly invites feedback on facility organization and be open to making changes to best serve users including adults and students
- Assigns storage space to teachers and other users
Supervision and Training of Users/Informal Education
- Maintains constant physical presence within CIS and supervises the safe operation of tools during class and open shop times, including maintaining user ID badge system and providing support to teachers
- Provides Safety Orientation and Training to all users of CIS, including students and teachers
- Recognizes role as an informal educator and models safe and responsible tool/facility use
- Prepares weekly plan of tasks to be completed by CIS Community Service students
- Participates in the development and implementation of project-based learning as needed
- Attendance at faculty, department, class team meetings and/or other meetings as required by Director of the CIS, and/or the Academic Leadership Team (Division Heads and Director of Teaching and Learning) in dialogue with Director of the CIS
- Participation in orientation, professional development days, and graduation
- A willingness to help cover a colleague’s class for the day when absences occur
- Attendance at special all-school functions, e.g. Back to School Day, Equity and Inclusion Week
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the Director of the CIS and Division Heads
- CPR / AED TRAINED AND CERTIFIED – must have up-to-date certifications in both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and proper operation of a defibrillator (AED).
Please email Vivian Liao at email@example.com if you have questions. Apply for the position here.