This Jobs Board is intended for employment opportunities related to educational makerspaces around the world. Please make sure to include job title, location, contact email and link to full job description. Click to submit a job.
Danville, California, U.S.A.
Innovation is at the doorstep of The Athenian School—or perhaps more accurately, at the base of Mt. Diablo. Athenian is a school where virtually every part of its 75-acre campus near the beautiful San Francisco East Bay hills is a space for discovery and experimentation. But what makes Athenian truly unique is the role of the student in the learning process. Students don’t just own their learning, they live it—whether spending three months building an airplane or spending three weeks camping in the wilderness.
The Carter Innovation Studio (CIS) is part of the newest learning commons on campus, having just opened in fall 2018. This 5,200 square foot design lab features a shop area with metal and woodworking tools, an industrial arts area, a computer/CADD/3-D printer space, and three classrooms. Its central location at the heart of Athenian’s campus is no accident. Athenian wants the CIS to be a hub of experiential learning activity for both middle and high school students. To lead this exciting initiative, Athenian seeks an inaugural director of the Carter Innovation Studio well versed in design, engineering, fabrication, and computational thinking. This position reports to the director of teaching and learning and begins on July 1, 2019—or earlier by mutual agreement.
For more information please visit the following link, which contains the job opportunity statement and complete application instructions.
Post Date: February 14, 2019
Application Deadline: March 11, 2019
Decision Announced: End of March
Start Date: July 1, 2019, or earlier by mutual agreement
- Promote, oversee, and support all experiential learning in the Carter Innovation Studio (CIS)
- With guidance from the director of teaching and learning and the division heads, develop and deliver learning opportunities that invite traditional classes to the CIS
- Design and deliver faculty trainings, and serve as a faculty coach and mentor in the areas of design and fabrication
- Teach a class in the field of design, fabrication, engineering, computational thinking, computer science, or applied science
- Serve on the Curriculum Think Tank, which is led by the director of teaching and learning and includes department chairs and program directors
- Supervise the CIS staff, which includes a part-time shop manager
- Maintain ultimate responsibility for all operations of the CIS, including equipment maintenance, supply ordering, budgets, capital purchases, safety procedures, room scheduling, and volunteer coordination
- Maintain an active presence in the local, regional, and national communities of design, engineering, and fabrication
- Develop partnerships with external organizations to both support the mission of the CIS and provide additional learning opportunities for students
- Serve in a public-facing capacity to represent the CIS to external visitors
- Other duties as assigned
ATHENIAN IS LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO CAN DEMONSTRATE
- Multiple years of experience as a classroom teacher in areas such as design, engineering, fabrication, computer science, or computational thinking
- Experience overseeing or supporting the operations of a shop environment or fabrication lab
- Experience planning curriculum and developing student learning outcomes for design and engineering, in partnership with teachers of other disciplines
- Experience leading workshops, trainings, and projects to faculty, preferably for both middle and high school teachers
- Immersion in diversity work—both in training and in implementation—and a commitment to fostering culturally competent and inclusive classrooms
- A track record of establishing successful partnerships with faculty
- Experience designing and implementing project-based and experiential learning
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, which is a minimum requirement, though a graduate degree is highly desirable
Leadership and Personal Qualities:
- Inspirational, pragmatic, diplomatic, and patient leadership
- Authentic empathy, warmth, and collegiality
- Confidence and humility, together with a sense of humor and warm personality
- Savvy communication and presentation skills
- A collaborative, cooperative, and growth-oriented mindset
- Enthusiasm for students to pursue their passions, talents, and interests, both in and out of the traditional classroom
- A vision that is aligned with the needs of a dynamic and diverse faculty and staff
- A passion for building community and facilitating adult learning
For more information please download the opportunity statement, which contains complete application instructions:
Location: Morristown, New Jersey U.S.A.
Seeking an engineering design/makerspace educator for Fall 2019, to teach and support teachers in a forward-thinking, student-centered academic program. Three course load in design and/or engineering, as well as supervision of the school’s new 9000 sq. ft. makerspace. The candidate should be comfortable working with middle school students, upper school students, and faculty. He or she will also be available to support the school’s two-week Summer Institute. The successful candidate will embrace the makerspace as venue for critical problem solving and creativity, through a set of classes run from the space, as well as for classes across disciplines and independent student work. Relevant degree, thorough familiarity with makerspace technology (i.e. lasercutter, 3d printer, CAD software), and previous teaching experience required. Above all, we are seeking candidates able to embrace our School’s academic vision, helping to develop curriculum and teaching according to its core tenets.
Please send cover letter, C.V., statement of teaching philosophy, and reference list to Dr. John Mascaro, Dean of Faculty, Morristown-Beard School, 70 Whippany Road, Morristown, NJ 07960. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; no telephone inquiries please.
Review of applications begins on January 18, 2019
An exciting Makerspace opportunity! University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is recruiting a Director for their BeAM (Be A Maker) Makerspace network. The BeAM Director will collaborate with other stakeholders to develop BeAM into a program of national prominence and plan for the resources, staffing, facilities, and assessment for a BeAM network totaling over 20,000 square feet.
For additional details, please view http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/148337.
Ravenswood City School District, East Palo Alto and Menlo Park, CA, USA
Ravenswood City School District (serving East Palo Alto and eastern Menlo Park) has 8 public school sites, each with a staffed and equipped makerspace. We serve students in Kindergarten through 8th grade.
We will have 2 lab manager/tinkerer positions open next year (starting in August). These are full-time positions with benefits, a teaching credential is not required. One job is taking over an established makerspace at an elementary site, and the other position is opening a space at our new middle school.
For the middle school position, you will be setting up your new space (with a lot of support). We have ordered some of the big equipment (including a GlowForge and Epilog Mini, and Carvey CNCs.) But the lab manager at this site can still make some of the buying and space set up decisions (if they want to).
Some bonuses to Ravenswood:
- We have weekly team professional development (where we share resources and support), so you are part of a cross district team and are not working alone
- We benefit from resources and incredible support through our collaboration with Stanford University. Tinkerers often participate in professional development at Stanford directly with the Fablearn Team
- Working directly with our students can bring a lot of joy and meaning to your work, this is a job where you really can have a huge impact and change lives
- You have access to amazing tools and equipment (lasercutters, robotics, sewing, CNC mills, basic prototyping supplies, etc)
Link to more information about our program and district: http://www.ravenswoodmakerspaces.org/
Link to the application: https://www.edjoin.org/Home/JobPosting/1064411