Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
reDiscover Center is a community non-profit in dedicated to developing children’s creativity using real tools and sustainable materials. We operate LA’s largest public kids’ makerspace, focused on non-digital hands-on crafting and woodworking, with open studio time, classes, workshops, camps, and private events. We also provide extensive outreach programming at schools, after school programs, and community events, as well as distance learning resources online and through distribution of tools and materials for home makerspaces.
The Programs Director is responsible for the conception and delivery of reDiscover Center’s educational programs. Developing and supervising a staff of 10 full time and part time Program Facilitators, the Programs Director ensures that reDiscover provides the best educational, safe, enjoyable experience possible to each of our students and clients. Working closely with the Director-level Team, the Programs Director determines the array of programs offered to fulfill reDiscover’s mission, taking care to create financially sustainable, innovative, equitable, effective programs that build internal capacity while serving youth and educators. With programs ranging from curriculum development for K-8 public schools to informal camps and classes to the invention of new educational technologies and products, the Programs Director expresses a wide range of skills within STEAM education.
10 federal holidays plus 10 days/year PTO, rising to 15 days/year after 2 years
$65,000-75,000 commensurate with experience
Work schedule to include occasional weekend and holiday coverage
- Determine educational content for programs provided by reDiscover Center facilitated by staff and volunteers.
- Maintain and refine current programming, safety protocols, and content.
- Develop curricula, lesson plans, activity guides, and similar documents for internal use and publication.
- Hire and train facilitators to deliver in various program formats and curricula. Monitor ongoing work efforts and coach towards improvements.
- Create and maintain operational systems to provide excellent facilitation of all of reDiscover’s educational programs, including camps, after school programs, and classes at reDiscover Center and offsite. Sub for facilitators as needed.
- Analyze current programs and systems for weaknesses and opportunities, including integrating feedback from staff and clients, and implement changes to improve those programs and services.
- Document programs and conduct evaluations of program quality and impact.
- Research, propose, develop, and implement new financially sustainable programs that keep reDiscover at the forefront of STEAM education.
- Supervise the maintenance of tools, equipment, facilities, and materials.
- Coordinate with Director-level staff, board members, and consultants to create short term and long strategic plans.
- Represent reDiscover in online and in-person professional and public maker/tinkerer communities and forums.
- Establish new partnerships and sustain existing partnerships with organizations and key individuals in the STEAM education ecosystem that open productive pathways for program development and implementation, including sustainable funding mechanisms.
- Research regional and national trends and best practices in STEAM education, sustainability education, and makerspaces.
- Contribute to special projects at reDiscover and offsite.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent independence and time management skills.
- Experience in strategic planning and organizational management.
- Experience teaching STEAM education programs to youth ages 3-14.
- Capacity to gain new skills.
- Ability to write and edit publishable copy.
- Ability to speak publicly on behalf of reDiscover.
- Experience supervising productive work teams of teachers and/or facilitators.
- Must possess valid CA Driver’s License, current TB test (negative) and LiveScan background check showing eligibility to work with children.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Art based skills, tool knowledge, and makerspace experience.
- Experience working with CA curriculum standards, as a classroom teacher or curriculum developer.
- Facility with digital document creation, including text, photo, video, and social media.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting, fundraising strategies, and program development.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Supervises Facilitators and Volunteers, shared with Director of Operations
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think you could excel in this position but do not meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply. reDiscover Center is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and dedicated to reflecting the communities we serve. reDiscover Center works to meet our commitment to diversity and to build an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.