Wilson, Arkansas, U.S.A.
The school Makers Space is the centerpiece of The Delta School campus and its program. The Maker will help to create a school that celebrates an open-ended culture of creativity, innovation, and experimentation, melding diverse disciplines math, science, art, craft, engineering, green design, music, and more into ambitious projects. The Maker will assist, support, and encourage students as they learn new skills for making things and complete projects to display at a town Maker Faire.
We are seeking someone whose skills and passions span several areas: digital fabrication, design teaching, mechanical ability. This position requires someone who has a thorough knowledge of digital fabrication equipment (e.g. 3D printers, laser cutters, and CNC routers). Additionally, a love of working with youth and the ability to teach and manage elementary school students is a must. Finally, the Maker Educator will have interest in entrepreneurialism, helping students envision how to take their projects from ideation to actualization.
- Identify projects suitable for students ages 6-17
- Develop Maker Curriculum for growing school
- Work one on one with students or in groups to ideate, prototype, and present projects
- Teach classes offering specific guidance workshops in areas of expertise
- Organize logistics for projects
- Engage in your own learning and exploration
- Maintain a safe and efficient learning environment
- Technical support of project documentation (video, photos, sketchbook, lab notebook, blog
- Lead students in time management and project planning skills
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn and make things
- Experience and/or strong interest in working with young people ages 6-17
- Skills with technology, art, craft, engineering, music, science, green design, and other Maker themes OR curiosity and commitment to quickly develop such skills
- Proven ability in the use of digital arts/fabrication software and equipment;
- Knowledge in maintaining digital fabrication equipment including 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, etc.;
- Experience teaching in an educational or youth development setting;
- Sincere motivation to work collaboratively with an energized, committed, and diverse team;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach;
- Highly organized;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, oral, and computer skills;
- Bachelors Degree required, with preference for a degree in a relevant field;
The Maker Educator will have funding available to bring in guest makers to fill in the gaps or provide instruction in methods for which you do not have specific training.
The Delta School strives to create a school and working environment that is affirming and inclusive. The Delta School respects and values its diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of differences in age, ethnicity, family structure, national origin, physical attributes, race, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic background.
The position requires a bachelor’s degree, but equally important is the ability to face open-ended, ambiguous problems and actively work to solve them. As a start up school attempting to break the normal molds of traditional education an innovative mind is a strong advantage. It is strongly recommended that you spend time researching our school and project based learning prior to applying. www.thedeltaschool.org