Location: Malibu, California, USA
The Director of the Genesis Lab Maker Space and the Academic Center for Excellence/Librarian for Emerging Technology and Digital Projects spearheads the selection and implementation of emerging technology for Pepperdine Libraries. Through directing the Genesis Lab Maker Space and the Academic Center for Excellence, this position is responsible for developing and executing projects and programs that make use of emerging technology in order to support teaching, learning, and research.
- Direct the Genesis Lab, a digital makerspace, including developing and implementing innovative projects utilizing emerging technology, including 3-D scanning and printing, VR and AR, and data visualization. Other duties include selecting and maintaining technology (hardware and software) to support lab activities, and supervising student workers.
- Direct the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE), a cross-disciplinary, high impact learning space located in the Payson library. Responsibilities include overseeing equipment, software, and utilization of the space; developing and carrying out technology based workshops; and recruiting, training, and supervising student workers.
- Work with the Librarian for Digital Publishing, Curation, and Conversion to develop and implement digital projects that draw on the Libraries’ collections to serve students and faculty. Projects may include, for example, creating item level descriptive metadata, web archiving, and database customization.
- Plan, organize, and conduct trainings and workshops.
- Integrate the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and Genesis Lab activities into mainstream library operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: A master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school; sound knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices in instructional technology, and a commitment to developing and applying this knowledge in support of student learning and scholarship; the ability to work collaboratively within the library and with external partners; excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills. Sound knowledge of emerging technology trends across a wide variety of disciplines. Knowledge of best practices for digital preservation, digitization, born-digital archiving, and digital collections. Experience creating item level metadata for archival objects. Ability to communicate with a wide range of users. Ability and initiative to independently learn new hardware and software.
Preferred: Experience designing and delivering online training solutions and/or experience developing, deploying, and managing digital projects; hands-on knowledge regarding managing a makerspace; and demonstrated supervisory skills. Additionally, experience working with students of all backgrounds is highly desirable, as is a proficient understanding of the design thinking process. Knowledge of best practices for digital preservation, digitization, born-digital archiving, and digital collections. Understanding of database principles and XML. Ability to teach hardware and software programs to a wide variety of users. Knowledge of 3-D printing, VR and AR, data visualization, and 3D imaging.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Librarian, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.