Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Lead MakerSpace Teacher K-3
At Explore, we always begin with our mission: to foster the independence, critical thinking, and creativity of a diverse community of learners so they are fully prepared to become confident, responsible, and successful leaders. For more information about the school, please visit www.explore.school.
Explore! Community School opened with a kindergarten class in 2015 and is growing one grade per year until K-8. We are currently seeking Lead MakerSpace Teachers for grades K-3 who will provide an inspiring, joyful, and challenging education by engaging all students in meaningful, authentic learning experiences that lead them to master core academic content while developing the character and social skills that will equip them to become the innovative future leaders of Nashville.
As an outreach of the Martha O’Bryan Center, Explore will build upon the agency’s extensive experience in community support and engagement to create a unique and thriving community school. Led by an extraordinary group of loving and supportive teachers that truly value the unique strengths and skills each student and family bring, Explore students demonstrate the highest levels of academic achievement, character growth, confidence, joy, and care for themselves and their community. Every day at Explore, teachers and staff work with families and the community to embrace the diversity that surrounds us and grow together through curiosity, reflection, and collaboration to ensure our students are known, supported, healthy, happy, challenged, and fully prepared to be wildly successful in every future pursuit. For more information, please visit www.explore.school.
Lead MakerSpace Teachers are instrumental in the development of Explore! Community School, leading students to phenomenal achievements and the creation of beautiful works as well as being integral partners to the leadership in the growth and decision-making processes of the school. At Explore!, we know that schools are only as great as their teachers. We are seeking a diverse team of smart, passionate, driven educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers who are genuinely warm and kind, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, care about having fun at work, have a track record of high performance, and are committed to high-quality, progressive instruction. In return, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a culture in which MakerSpace Teachers are truly valued and trusted to make decisions in the best interests of their students, the best classroom supply budget in the city, extensive professional development, and the opportunity to be an integral member of the fun and supportive team building one of Nashville’s most awesome schools. To apply, please visit http://www.marthaobryan.org/careers.
- Create a positive, supportive classroom culture that promotes joy, self-discipline and Explore!’s Core Values.
- Plan and implement creative, organized, and engaging lessons.
- Design and implement cross-curricular, project-based learning units of study.
- Differentiate instruction to support all students in the learning process.
- Work in partnership with associate teachers and volunteers, providing coaching and direction to enhance student learning.
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls, conferences, and home visits.
- Support and collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure school-wide success.
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction.
- Provide a loving, exciting, joyful learning environment.
- Commitment to Explore Community School’s mission, values, educational model, and celebration of the strengths of diversity.
- Commitment to high academic achievement and to education of the whole child: academically, emotionally, socially, and physically.
- Commitment to ensuring a joyful environment for students, families, and staff.
- Understanding that family involvement is integral to student success.
- Belief that children can make a significant contribution to the school, community, and the world.
- Self-starter interested in working in a fast-paced, start-up environment that requires flexible roles.
- Experience in teaching elementary students, preferably consistently incorporating Project- Based Learning.
- Demonstrated strong classroom and time management skills.
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team with a commitment to his/her own learning and professional development.
- Experience designing and implementing readers and writers workshop within a balanced literacy curriculum.
- Capacity to teach mathematics and science using inquiry-based and hands-on methodology.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Candidates should be willing to take risks, look for opportunities to integrate disciplines in authentic and meaningful ways to make a difference in the world.
- Enthusiasm for exploring new trends using media, design, and digital fabrication tools and software.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in inquiry-based learning and cooperative learning with a focus on a student-centered approach.
- Knowledge of CNC machine, laser cutter, 3D printers, power tools, electronics, sewing machine a plus.
- Understand current educational technology as a means to support best practices.
- Proven experience with interdisciplinary and innovative curricular design and partnership.
- Additional skills that enhance students’ academic experience (e.g. multi-lingual, musician, carpentry, knock-knock jokes, etc.) highly sought.