Location: Durango, CO, U.S.A
The Powerhouse Science Center
MakerLab Director Job Announcement
The MakerLab at the Powerhouse Science Center (PSC) is a community workspace providing access to
tools, technologies and training to facilitate craft, creativity and entrepreneurship in the 4 Corners
region and beyond.
The MakerLab director will be the organization’s key management leader through the development
phase of the MakerLab. This position is responsible for overseeing the budget, classes, community
outreach, and strategic planning in coordination with the MakerLab Council, a member-selected group
that guides everyday use of the MakerLab. Other key duties include marketing, upkeep of equipment
and tools, developing exhibits, facilitating training, and successfully communicating with education
professionals, members, visitors and more. Proven time-management skills are required. The director
will report directly to the PSC Executive Director.
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, art, the trades or a closely related field or
equivalent practical experience is required for this position.
- 2-4 years of previous experience with large-scale project development and coordination.
- 3-5 years’ proven experience with making, preferably as a member of an identifiable
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
- Manages projects and timelines for the MakerLab members including the preparation of
an event calendar, programming activities and monthly MakerLab events.
- Works closely with the PSC Director of Education to ensure MakerLab classes meet or
exceed the education and technological quality standards of the PSC.
- Ensures resource availability and allocation.
- Mentors and provides oversight on instructors and members.
- Manages MakerLab materials inventory.
- Manages troubleshooting and required maintenance of equipment, trainings and
- Recruits, trains, and assists MakerLab members and participants.
- Assists with the writing and ongoing evaluation of policies and procedures.
Marketing and Community Outreach
- Gathers and analyzes statistics, writes expense and progress reports on department
activities, and develops goals in support of the MakerLab and Powerhouse strategic
- Assists in the promotion of the MakerLab, utilizing focused written, oral, video, web and
social media communication. Manages social media marketing on multiple platforms
- Develops and maintains existing relationships with organizations, individuals, and others
to participate and partner with the MakerLab.
- Assists with funding applications for MakerLab initiatives, in partnership with the
Executive Director and MakerLab Council.
Educational management tasks include instructing members and the general public on
programming, tools, technology, and activities such as 3D modeling, microcontroller
programming, general electronics, laser cutting, wood working and CNC milling.
Required skills and knowledge
- Working knowledge of microcontrollers and relevant software, such as: Arduino, Raspberry Pi,
- Proofreading and document-editing proficiency
- Deep knowledge of the culture, theory and practice of the Maker Movement.
- Ability to research, plan and implement education classes for youth and adults.
- Understanding of the general procedures required to hire, manage, and train STEAM educators
for the MakerLab.
- Experience tracking materials, tools, and equipment needed for all MakerLab programs.
- Ability to switch between a variety of projects on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on occasion.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Suggested knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of 3D modeling software (Solidworks, Autodesk Fusion 360/Inventor) a plus
- Knowledge of SEO and/or strategic online marketing
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress, PHP or similar languages
- Able to manage a domain’s DNS settings
Salary: $30,000- $40,000
Hours: 30-40 hours per week
Travel: less than 5%
Time Off: this position will be compensated for 10 flexible holidays determined by the organization on
an annual basis. This position also qualifies for paid time off on an accrual basis.
Insurance: The Powerhouse Science Center does not currently provide health benefits to employees.
Please submit a digital resume and cover letter to Wayne LaBar, Powerhouse Executive Director at
firstname.lastname@example.org by June 14, 2018