Location: Lakeland, Florida, USA
Catapult Lakeland has served as Lakeland’s premier non-profit coworking space and entrepreneur hub since 2014. For the past five years, it has offered affordable pricing for shared office space, thoughtfully curated educational opportunities, and a privately-funded micro-grant program to aid businesses in search of funding. Through these opportunities, Catapult has helped hundreds of companies in one of America’s fastest-growing cities.
By 2020, Catapult’s brand new 38,000 square-foot facility, Catapult 3.0, will be complete and fully-outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment for the commercial kitchen, coworking space, and Lakeland’s first maker space. In this addition to Lakeland’s skyline, Catapult hopes to attract more entrepreneurs not only from Lakeland, but all over the state of Florida.
Catapult’s maker space will provide artists, craftsmen, and product-based entrepreneurs with commercial-grade machinery to create regularly and efficiently. It will offer affordability to an otherwise inaccessible fleet of equipment.
MAKER SPACE DIRECTOR JOB SUMMARY
The Maker Space Director will be responsible for the operational success of the Catapult Maker Space.
These duties include, but are not limited to: recruiting members, building partnerships, managing inventory of maker supplies and equipment, scheduling equipment repair and maintenance, instruction on how to properly and safely use the equipment, enforcement of equipment use policies and procedures as well as all office and facility needs. The Maker Space Director will be required to teach both classroom and equipment-based courses.
This person is a self-starter who is highly self-managed and excited to work in a collaborative environment. They have good organizational skills and should able to see what needs to get done and make it happen without the need for daily guidance. This person possesses good people and conflict resolution skills as the job requires constant interaction with maker members. This person has patience, flexibility and the knowledge of best teaching practices.
This position reports to the Executive Director and will supervise an Assistant Maker Space Director.
Additionally, Catapult is partnering with Florida Polytechnic University to provide a unique employment opportunity for select candidates. Additional details about the Catapult job scope and the Florida Polytechnic University opportunity can be found below.
Hire Date: October/November 2019
Salary Details: $75,000-$100,000 negotiable based on experience + competitive benefits package + annual bonus based on performance
- Space Planning
- Research best practices, programming, layout/design, & equipment at other maker spaces
- Review and revise the list of equipment and inventory needs as deemed necessary
- Coordinate all equipment purchases and installation
- Research, develop and implement an orientation and onboarding process for new members
- Develop and build out programs and safety training specific to each piece of equipment
- Research and implement system for equipment scheduling, check-in and check-out procedures for each piece of equipment
- Research and implement a resource section of website with information specific to makers and equipment
- Develop a schedule for maintenance, permitting and deep cleaning of the space
- Research statewide safety procedures and create Catapult Makers Space safety procedures
- Space Operations
- Ongoing recruitment of maker space members
- Responsible for onboarding training program for each new member
- Manage day-to-day use of equipment and safety procedures
- Manage keycard system and check-in system for maker space
- Daily walk-throughs for cleanliness and code violations
- Operation and management of all equipment, facility, utilities, and general maker space
- Work with the facility manager and all independent contractors to ensure clean/safe facility
- Manage shared working environment and conflict among members
- Ongoing communication with members regarding education, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Business Operations
- Forecast and manage budget for maker space related expenses
- Responsible for working with VP of Operations on billing and maintaining client records
- Utilize Salesforce for all lead management and membership management
- Utilize Salesforce to develop a system for measuring, collecting data, automated reports and dashboarding
- Education + Safety
- Develop and maintain a list of mentors and teachers
- Teach classroom and equipment-based workshops
- Maintain regular check-ins with members
- Provide educational opportunities for the general Lakeland community
- Community Outreach & Relationships
- Build partnerships with local universities and corporations to sustain the maker space and provide value- added benefit to members and broader Catapult community
- Manage relationships between all service providers and contractors involved in the facility and facility maintenance
- Work with Marketing Director to implement marketing plan specific to maker space
- Develop partnerships with material vendors and maintain a steady inventory of all parts and materials
- Leadership, Management, & Development
- Manage, select, train, and evaluate program staff and interns for effectiveness and efficiency
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team
- Perform assessments, evaluate and analyze overall program effectiveness; implement appropriate procedures to ensure efficiency and accuracy to fulfill Catapult’s mission
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- At least 10 years experience in shop, woodworking, welding, and laser cutting
- At least 5 years experience in training and teaching others both in the classroom and on the equipment
- Experience developing mutually beneficial partnership agreements
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Highly organized with the ability to organize and maintain a shop environment
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Microsoft office and shop-related programs such as CAD
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives
- Physically fit and capable of lifting 50+ lbs
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Strong project management skills, managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience working with a high-performance collaborative, constructive peer group
- Deep understanding of research, development and implementation of training programs
- Personal qualities of integrity, honesty, initiative, and loyalty with a commitment to and passion for Lakeland and Catapult’s Mission
ADDITIONAL SCOPE FOR SELECT CANDIDATES
Candidates with advanced (MS/PhD) STEM degrees may be eligible for an additional academic appointment and responsibilities at Florida Polytechnic University. Dependent upon educational background and mutual interests, a candidate’s potential academic appointment may include duties such as teaching, student mentoring, research, or design team/student club advising.
INTERESTED? Apply here