Location: New York City, USA
Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Departmental Role: The Education Services department strategizes, develops and delivers innovative programs that provide students and teachers support in STEM, reaches out to underserved audiences, increases science awareness, excitement and interest in learners of all ages and advances NYSCI’s commitment to rigor, creativity and entrepreneurship.
NYSCI’s Education Services department is seeking a Weekday Maker Space Associate with expertise and interest in facilitating hands on learning experiences for learners of different ages and backgrounds. The ideal candidate will have experience researching, designing and implementing maker/STEM programming as well as experience with (or willingness to learn) a variety of unique tool skills and processes.
Function:Support the development and implementation of weekday Maker Space programming including after school walk-up activities and group workshops. The Weekday Maker Space Associate will be responsible for supporting program implementation, set-up/clean-up, and facilitation. Additional responsibilities include training and overseeing Program Explainers, and maintaining the Maker Space activity area.
- Support the implementation of all aspects of weekday programming in Maker Space.
- Collaborate with NYSCI staff and outside partners to create maker related programming and develop Maker Space as a resource for STEM learning.
- Supervise weekday Maker Space Explainers.
- Assist in maintaining statistics that correspond to Maker Space workshops and special events.
- Research, develop and prototype innovative maker activities and maintain all Maker Space materials, tools and equipment including hardware and software in accordance Maker Space program tools and materials.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Coordinator.
Education: BA preferred but not required
Languages: Because many of NYSCI’s visitors and program participants speak languages other than English, competence speaking a language other than English – particularly Spanish – is relevant to the position.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of the New York Hall of Science.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
Time Commitment: 20 hours/week
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.