Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Schedule: Monday – Friday, OR Tuesday – Saturday, 1pm – 10 pm, Schedule may vary
Calendar: 12 Months
Salary: $45,541-$59,203/annually DOE
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
First review week 5/24/21
Do you want to work in an organization that is dedicated to helping a highly diverse student body succeed? At GateWay Community College, one of the 10 community colleges within the Maricopa County Community College District, join a team that is guiding approximately 12,000 students annually in the heart of the city of Phoenix.
Our academic offerings are diverse, with more than 150 degree programs to choose from. GateWay serves one of the most diverse student bodies within the district and is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution with over 46 percent indicating Hispanic heritage. More than half of our student population represents more than 40 countries, it’s a vibrant community where various cultures are celebrated regularly. Whether you’re teaching, working, or learning – find your purpose. Join our community and make a difference.
The Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) is committed to providing you with a competitive, comprehensive benefits program that provides the care you and your family need to lead healthy, productive lives. Our benefits are designed to provide support for every life stage and lifestyle in our community: single, married or in a domestic partnership; with or without children; new to the workforce; or getting ready to retire.
Our benefits package includes:
- Medical including Teladoc
- Life Insurance
- ASRS Retirement
- Wellness Programs
- Tuition Waiver
- Paid Leave Options
- Employee Assistance Programs
Vacation, Sick, Paid Holidays
This is a specially funded assignment with a projected end date of 06/30/2022 with renewal based on
available funds and the needs of MCCCD.
GateWay Community College is a Hispanic Serving Institution with one of the most diverse student bodies in the Maricopa Community College district. Over 46% of our students indicate Hispanic heritage and better than half of the student population represents more than 40 countries.
GateWay Community College is seeking to attract candidates who want to help us continue building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all students, staff, and faculty. GateWay Community College understands that diversity is integral to excellence. We honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming, inclusive, respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who reflect, and demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse communities and populations that make Arizona a rich and vibrant place to live and work. When you join the team at GateWay, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice built on broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students, and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at GateWay, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Vision, Mission, Goals, and Values.
GateWay Community College is seeking an exciting new role as a Senior Instructor for its Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM)-oriented Makerspace (PHOENIX FORGE) in downtown Phoenix. This 22,500-square-foot facility is open to the public as well as college students, faculty, and the staff of the Maricopa County Community College District.
This position is under general supervision by the Program Manager. The Senior Instructor will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Makerspace metal shop, which will include instructional activity, supervision of 3 part-time staff, shop maintenance, and metal fabrication as needed. This role may also assist in the wood shop on occasion.
50% – Teaches workshops, coaches, and mentors shop users through aspects of fabrication (with CNC and manual tools), welding processes, craftsmanship, problem solving, design, and shop safety; participates in content and curriculum development for workshops
20% – Manages and monitors CNC and manual shop equipment and tool usage, materials/consumables inventory, equipment reservations, maintenance, and repairs
10% – Supervises three part-time staff (may schedule, assign, review, and evaluate work of staff with Program Manager; may participate in staff selection); oversees shop volunteers
10% – Provides metal fabrication services, prototyping, and design support as needed; facilitates machine shop user community development and activities
10% – Enforces compliance with rules, policies, standards (including safety rules and procedures) for staff and members; conducts orientation and safety training as necessary; performs other duties as assigned
High School Diploma or GED and five years of experience in the area of assignment. Some assignments may require an Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree or higher depending on the field of instruction.
There is no substitution or equivalency allowable for the High School Diploma or GED
- Five (5) or more years of experience working in a machine/metal shop environment (proficient with metal fabrication, CNC tools (mill/router/lathe), manual shop tools, forging, welding. Woodworking experience also helpful)
- One (1) or more years of teaching experience (in an academic or makerspace environment preferred)
- One (1) or more years of experience supervising employees
Special Working Conditions
- Possession of a valid State of Arizona Class D driver’s license is required; must meet minimum standards regarding driving: http://business.maricopa.edu/risk-management/motor-vehicle-usage/motor-vehicle-driving-requirements
- Local travel required
- Work schedule typically Monday-Friday; 1pm -10pm or 10am – 7pm. Some Saturdays may be required. This work schedule may vary on occasion.
- May require prolonged periods of viewing a computer screen
- May be required to lift or carry up to #25lbs
- MCCCD does not sponsor individuals for any type of work visas.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a cover letter that details how the applicant meets minimum and desired qualifications.
Please ensure your resume and cover letter provide the following items:
- Clearly illustrate how prior experience, knowledge and education meet the minimum and desired qualifications for this position.
- Provide employment history in a month/year format (e.g., 09/07 to 10/11) including job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
- Indicate whether full or part time experience for each position held.
- Three references, by current and/or former supervisors. If references are not provided in resume upon application, they will be requested at time of interview
Please apply directly on our site to posting #315025 at: www.maricopa.edu/about/careers