Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
Seven Hills Middle School seeks an inspiring, high-energy, and passionate teacher to serve as Director for our signature Innovation Lab. Housed in a specially designed makerspace in our new, state-of-the-art Middle School building, the Innovation Lab program engages students in a series of sequenced projects designed to foster design thinking skills. In an empathy-based approach, students consider the needs or challenges faced by others as they work in project teams to conceptualize, design, prototype, test, fail, iterate, and, in many cases, present their fabrications to authentic audiences.
In preparation for these projects, students learn a series of fabrication and design skills. Sixth-grade students develop basic skills as they work with hand, power, and digital tools on projects that include designing for others. Seventh-grade students dive more deeply into the engineering design process. They explore and develop spatial reasoning, empathy, and creative thinking skills as they take on a series of challenges. An eighth-grade Computer Science elective course teaches students to use loops, variables, functions and conditionals to build efficient and adaptable computer programs. Students also design, build, and program robotic devices. In addition to teaching courses, the Innovation Lab Director supports student-driven projects each day during lunch. All student projects increase in scope, complexity, and sophistication as they acquire new skills, but the basic formula is to help students learn to understand and empathize with challenges faced by others and to use their creativity and imagination to design effective solutions.
The position involves delivering an engaging design-thinking curriculum to students in grades 6-8, including:
- Implementing the current suite of projects and, eventually, adapting or refining them as needed,
- Differentiating instruction for a range of abilities and interest levels in order to provide a student-centered, hands-on approach to learning,
- Inventorying and ordering equipment and materials required for successful projects,
- Ensuring a safe, orderly environment, with all the necessary protocols to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities,
- Assessing and documenting the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and providing progress reports as required,
- Collaborating with the Upper School Computer Design and Engineering teachers to teach the skills necessary for future design or computer programming courses.
- Experience working with Middle School students, preferably in a makerspace environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Comfort with (or aptitude for) design, working with power tools, basic circuitry, and rudimentary computer programming.
- Ability to inspire and nurture students’ imagination and creativity.
Candidates should send applications to Andi Guess, Administrative Assistant to Head of School, The Seven Hills School, 5400 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, OH 45227 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Full applications should include a cover letter, resume, transcripts and letters of recommendation.