Innovation Center Program Director
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs Director Job Description
TXRX Labs is a community non-profit dedicated to driving physical innovation within the Houston Ecosystem. We operate Houston’s largest makerspace, focused on prototyping, high tech job training, stem youth development, and innovation skills training through tool access, classes, contract engineering, fabrication, and ideation. We are also currently expanding to operate a satellite location in the heart of Houston’s innovation corridor near the world’s largest medical center and Rice University one of the nation’s leading institutions of higher education.
The Programs Director is responsible for the conception, development and ongoing execution of TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center. Developing and supervising a staff of 8 full time and part time Program Technicians, the Programs Director ensures that TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center provides innovation capabilities to the growing Innovation Corridor. Working closely with TXRX ‘s Main Facility Team, the Programs Director determines the array of programs offered to fulfill TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center’s mission, taking care to create financially sustainable, innovative, equitable, effective programs that build internal capacity while serving innovators and the surrounding community. With programs ranging from skills training for available equipment to innovation, prototyping, and fabrication services to corporate events to internship programs with local Universities, the Programs Director expresses a wide range of skills within the innovation landscape.
10 federal holidays plus 10 days/year PTO, rising to 15 days/year after 2 years, Includes Employer Sponsored Health, Vision, Dental
$70,000-85,000 commensurate with experience
Work schedule to include occasional weekend and holiday coverage
- Determine content for programs provided by TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center facilitated by technicians and volunteers.
- Maintain and refine current programming, safety protocols, partnerships, and content.
- Develop proposals, pitch decks, overviews, trainings, and similar documents for internal use and publication.
- Hire and train technicians to deliver in various program formats and curricula. Monitor ongoing work efforts and coach towards improvements.
- Create and maintain operational systems to provide excellent facilitation of all TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center programs, including fabrication, ideation, training, classes, and prototyping at TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center and offsite. Sub for technicians as needed.
- Analyze current programs and systems for weaknesses and opportunities, including integrating feedback from staff and clients, and implement changes to improve those programs and services.
- Document programs and conduct evaluations of program quality and impact.
- Research, propose, develop, and implement new financially sustainable programs that keep TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center at the forefront of innovation and development.
- Supervise the maintenance of tools, equipment, facilities, and materials.
- Coordinate with Director-level staff, board members, and consultants to create short term and long strategic plans.
- Represent TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center in online and in-person professional and public maker/innovator communities and forums.
- Establish new partnerships and sustain existing partnerships with organizations and key individuals in the innovation and prototyping ecosystem that open productive pathways for program development and implementation, including sustainable funding mechanisms.
- Research regional and national trends and best practices in innovation, prototyping, and makerspaces.
- Contribute to special projects at TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center and offsite.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent independence and time management skills.
- Experience in strategic planning and organizational management.
- Experience in engineering, fabrication, and prototyping environments.
- Capacity to gain new skills.
- Ability to identify and build partner relationships.
- Ability to speak publicly on behalf of TXRX’s Innovation Corridor Center.
- Experience supervising productive work teams of technicians.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- CAD/CAM Skills, tool knowledge, and makerspace experience.
- Experience working with corporate or institutional innovation programs.
- 3d printing, Machining, and Electrical Engineering Experience.
- Facility with digital document creation, including text, photo, video, and social media.
- Knowledge of accounting, funding strategies, and program development.
- Hands on and practical capabilities
Supervises Technicians and Volunteers, shared with Executive Director
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
If you think you could excel in this position but do not meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply. TXRX Labs is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and dedicated to reflecting the communities we serve. TXRX Labs works to meet our commitment to diversity and to build an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.