Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA, Perelman Jewish Day School
The Makerspace Educator is an innovative and experienced design thinker who will collaborate with the Director of Instructional Technology, the STEAM Coordinator and General and Jewish Studies faculty to create and deliver making opportunities for Pre-K-5 students and help grow a nascent maker program. Stimulating curiosity, problem-solving and grit through the Engineering Design Process while developing skills that co-mingle STEAM with other disciplines is at the heart of this position.
• Create and continually upgrade PreK-5 maker curriculum that includes computer science and coding
• Collaborate with faculty to increase STEAM, design, and maker opportunities for the student community and co-teach as needed
• Facilitate professional development related to STEAM and the Maker Movement
• Plan and implement maker pop-ups, STEAM events, and Maker Faires
• Identify and share tools for innovation, design and making
• Maintain the makerspace including inventory and equipment upkeep
• Facilitate collaborations with other maker communities that provide participatory opportunities (such as Maker Faires, workshops, hackathons, etc.)
Minimum qualifications include:
• An undergraduate degree in a STEAM-related field
• 3 years teaching experience
• Demonstrated ability to teach integrated STEM content across PreK-5
• Experience in an educational makerspace environment
• Coding experience with Blockly, Scratch Jr. and Scratch
• Experience with project-based curriculum design
Highly qualified candidates will include:
• Graduate degree in STEAM-related field
• Maker Faire participation
• Interest/ability in physical computing, including Arduino and Raspberry Pi
• Experience with 3D printing and laser cutting
• Knowledge of basic electronics, robotics and eWearables
Salary is based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, including a statement of teaching philosophy, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.