Full Time Teaching/Mentoring Position: Rock Tree Sky Learning Community is a K-12 enrichment center for homeschooling families with 70+ students located in Ojai, California. The program’s philosophy is based on self-directed education and democratic schooling, in which children are free to choose their curriculum on a daily basis. Our time is split between a makerspace and a ranch. There are no classrooms but instead workshops and outdoor space where children may engage in a variety of creative activities and learning opportunities. We are seeking a full-time mentor to inspire youth with design projects and guide them in specialties such as wood-working and or engineering.
- Consistently offer various build/tinker projects which target different age groups (from kindergarten level to high school level) and support design thinking and basic safe tool use skills
- Work collaboratively with other makerspace mentors to create both small and large scale projects
- Engage with the larger community so that some projects can serve those beyond the enrichment center
- Assist in the continuous development and maintenance of the makerspace and ranch
- A background in and passion for making. Qualified applicants will have experience in any of the following: wood-work, metal-work, hobby electronics, engineering.
- 1 year or more experience working with children of all ages
- Flexibility – Must be able to work happily in a shared space; as this is a self-directed education model, mentors need to bring flexibility and sustained enthusiasm to their projects even as children’s interests shift.
- Collaboration – mentors need to collaborate with one another at times to offer projects utilizing multiple skill sets and areas of expertise
Visit us on the web at rocktreesky.org for more information about the program. Position is for the 2018-19 instructional year. To apply or learn more about the position please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org